By Stephen Tweed & David Dickie
It was early afternoon on a Tuesday when the phone rang in our office. Our Client
Events Coordinator came in and asked if I could take a call from a law firm in Los
Angeles. Curious, I picked up the phone.
“Hi Mr. Tweed, my name is Angela and I’m a paralegal for Smith, Jones and Smith, a law firm
in Los Angeles. The attorney I work with would like to talk with you about being an expert
witness for a lawsuit we are defending. Would you have a few minutes in the next day or so
to talk with her?”
And so began one of the most amazing adventures of my consulting career as I spent the next
18 months working with the attorney and the defendants of this litigation where one home care
company was suing another home care company over a contract dispute.
It was absolutely scary to me how much it cost for what I considered to be a relatively trivial
complaint, and it showed why it is critical for every home care company in America to be
properly insured. If the home care company that was sued had not purchased the right
liability insurance, this lawsuit would have put them out of business and probably bankrupted the owners.
Five Types of Liability Insurance
- General Liability Many common risks are covered together under a general liability policy. These risks include bodily injury, property damage, personal injury and advertising injury caused by direct or indirect actions of you or your employees.
- Non-owned Auto Insurance Non-owned Auto Insurance is designed to cover your agency in the event that an employee is involved in an auto accident while driving on-the- job.
- Crime Coverage, Typically Referred to as ‘Bonding’ While non-owned auto leads in claims dollars paid, crime claims lead in number of claims. Theft claims
happen alarmingly often in home care.
- Employment Practices Liability Employment Practices Liability is an area of United States law that deals with wrongful termination, sexual harassment, discrimination, invasion of privacy, false imprisonment, breach of contract, emotional distress, and wage and hour law violations.
- Cyber Liability Also called “Breach Response Liability”, cyber coverage protects you and your agency in the event of several different types of ‘information’ claims. For example:
- Loss, theft or unauthorized disclosure of protected health information (HIPAA violations)
- Loss, theft or unauthorized disclosure of private employee information
- Loss, theft or unauthorized disclosure of credit card information
- Failure to prevent transmission of a computer virus
- Failure to report a loss of information
Home Care CEO Member Benefits
Members of the Home Care CEO Forum can get reduced rates on liability insurance coverage and workers
compensation premiums by working closely with our exclusive Resource Partner for insurance, The Solutions Group. Contact David Dickie and his team at The Solutions Group to learn more about how you can reduce your rates and improve your coverage by working together to reduce your experience rating and therefore your premiums. When you contact The Solutions Group for home care liability insurance you will enjoy our no-pressure purchase process. We will be there to answer any questions that you have and bind any insurance that you want to purchase. But we guarantee that we will leave you alone if you want to be left alone. Absolutely no ‘make them say ‘no’ seven times’ sales techniques. It makes us uncomfortable when done to us, so we will not do it to you!
The Solutions Group
VP New Business
phone: (210) 618-0314